John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My name is ***** *****, i need help trouble shooting. I have

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, i need help trouble shooting. I have a 48 inch duel monogram range. It takes for ever to heat up, then once i start opening the door to switch pans the temp will go from 400 to200 and then takes time to reheat. Yesterday it didn't reheat up at the end. My door seems to not close tightly anymore. I also had a repair guy check my heating element and its fine. I had a guy switch the thermometer from the small oven to the large oven cause i was told thats probably the problem. Fully expecting the smaller oven not to work after switching the parts. They both still work, so its not the thermometer. Also I am not sure what finally turns the heating element on. Me playing with the buttons from convection, broil and bake thus and electrical problem in the switches, or me holding the door more . Finally, I did self clean before the Holidays. I self clean maybe twice a year. we have an older model, about 10 years, and I have never had any of these problems before. I do about 4 hours of cooking in it every week on Wednesdays cause I have small business. I am guessing a professional range like this should be able to handle that
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: did you get my message above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

How well does the unit work with both ovens on at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the past they seem to work. Last night after the large oven wouldnt heat back up i resorted to turning on the small unit and it worked. Meanwhile I gave up on the large one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave now, not sure when to expect an answer Ill be back and online around 1:15 central time.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I was called away from my computer. I think you may have a gas regulator problem, if you have one in your gas supply line. Will you please check it out for me?You should find the gas regulator behind the range. If you do, please describe it for me.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Is the range electric or gas operated? In reading the conversation thus far, I'm not certain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dual fuel
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you. Will you please check to see if you have a gas regulator in your gas supply line, and, if you do, please describe it for me. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me clarify, the dual fuel means my stove top is gas and my oven is all electric
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OMG! I must have been asleep when electricity was declared a fuel. OK. Please allow me to reconsider your problem, and I'll get back to you.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I now realize that I don't see the brand name or model number for your range. Will you please send them to me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GE monogram 48 inch range zdp48n6rd1ss.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, I also noticed on this web site there were repair guys who have worked for decades with GE appliances. Maybe you can consult with one of them. They might be familiar with this issue.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I see now it's a dual range, not a dual fuel appliance. This makes me happy, since I realize that electricity is still just mysterious energy. Now back to the business at hand. I've seen the symptoms you're describing caused by excessive heat and wire damage at the element connections. In these cases, the element will look fine and check out continuity wise, yet fail to heat properly or not at all.

Have someone visually inspect the element wire connector condition. If there's evidence of over heating or a wire burned off, rewire the connectors, using high heat terminals.

If you need further assistance, please get back to me.