Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kitchenaid 22 cu ft french door model kcfs22ev -- the

Customer Question
freezer door is misaligned 1/2"...
Kitchenaid 22 cu ft french door model kcfs22ev -- the freezer door is misaligned 1/2" longer on the left not allowing the left side to fully seal. I don't know how to reset it because of the gear on each side
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/3/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
And can you please explain the freezer door being longer on the left side?

full model is KitchenAid KFCS22EVMS8.
The freezer door has become misaligned with the right side shorter by 1/2" or so than the left.
This means the left side won't seal correctly, causing ice formation.
My problem is that the slide on each side is geared with the gears turning by a toothed track.
The gears are connected via an axle that turns.
This keeps the sides aligned (or in my case, misaligned).
I need to know how to disengage the axle or the gears so that the door can be realigned with each side of equal length.
Let me know if a pic would help or talking on the phone would be easier. My phone is(###) ###-####
OK, there is now more. I have defrosted it. Now the lengths are equal. The last inch or so of the door travel is "grabbed" and each side seals well. BUT. If I pull the handle from the left side the door comes out 1.5" longer on the left side. If I grab the door handle and pull on the right side the door slides out aligned. If I pull from the center of the handle the door pulls out aligned but "ready" to become misaligned.

ok is it not shorted it has just become mis aligned .

trying to find you a video

Thanks!

Can you tell is it the upper track or the lower track that is out of alignment?

There is only a geared lower track. The upper track is for the ice tray and compartment tray and acts independently of the door.

ok the parts break down shows both have the cogged gear in the rear.

ok no video on it .

Ok the drawer front has to be removed it is held in place by two screw on the front of the lower track assembly then the drawer front just lift off and the white cover that covers the lower track and gear ,needs to be removed and then you can push the lower track back in and align the gear to the same cog on each track ,then reassembly

OK, I see four screws, not two, holding the door to the lower track assembly. I see how that works now.
Thanks.

it is two on each side!

right.
I'm going to give up for now and tackle it later. You've given me enough with the screws to pay the $28. Thanks.

Yes that coged system leaves a lot to be desired and no easy to tell some one over the phone or computer.

If you have any questions just let me know.

OK let me know your name and I will, later. Thanks!

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.
And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time