Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Refrigerator GX5SHDXVD01 Refrig. icemaker inop. Found floor…

Customer Question
Refrigerator GX5SHDXVD01 Refrig. icemaker inop...
Refrigerator GX5SHDXVD01 Refrig. icemaker inop. Found floor with lots of water on it.
Water supply OK, water solenoid coil shows continuity. Does not fill with water. What
is your experienced guess on this one?? Thanks, Jim
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/3/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

If you found water on the floor, my best "GUESS" would be that your fill tube is frozen not allowing the water to get up to the icemaker so it's spraying out the water connections when the icemaker tries to cycle. But that is just a starting point and don't think it's wise to just guess.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out.

Now since the most likely culprit is likely a frozen fill tube, you can also check by disconnecting the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve down at the valve itself. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?