Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I tried to start the wash and the front loading whirlpool…

Customer Question
I tried to start...

I tried to start the wash and the front loading whirlpool machine door locked and will not unlock. I have unplugged it and then plugged it back in. I still cannot get it to budge. The wash never started. Just locked the door.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It is a Whirlpool duet. I have pushed the pause cancel and that doesn't work. It said to push that twice. I have tried the control lock / unlock

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/3/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

It sounds like your control lock has failed. To unlock the door, remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

Then you can try to start another cycle and if you run into the same problem, replace the door latch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.