Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Having issues with ge monogram ZISB48DCA

Customer Question
Having issues with ge...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/3/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If there was visible issues with the timer, it may be that there is an excessive current draw and it may have damaged the thermostat. Does anything come on, like the fans or the cabinet lights?

Nothing has come on since I replaced the timer. Since then I have taken out the thermostat and jumped the wires to see if I could get it to start. Nothing. I have not bench tested the thermostat yet. I left the fan delay thermostat intact. Could it be causing the problem also? Also if I get to the point where I will require a repairman I guess I will have to call GE as the ones I have used in the past no longer work on GE.
I am kind of frustrated that what I perceived as a simple repair (clogged defrost drain) has snowballed to this. The unit was working and cooling fine up to this point. Water leaking down from defrost tray was only issue.
Oh. Very important. You asked if the cabinet lights come on. YES.
When may I expect a return response?

What is the defrost timer part number you installed? Have you manually advanced the new timer to see if it kicks on?

Part # ***** the timer TMDJX35RB9. Ge part # ***** replacing WR09X0413. And yes I did try advancing the timer.

Thank you. You installed the incorrect timer. You need to install part number WR9X502.

We need to start there and move forward once that is in place.

I don't see how that is possible. The timer I installed is the same exact one I replaced. I literally handed it to the parts guy and he gave me the exact same one. All the numbers match. Since you replied I checked the technical data sheet stuck in the refer and it calls for WR09X0413. When I Google that number it says it is discontinued and replaced with 502. But if I replaced the same exact timer why would that make a difference? ? This is very frustrating!!
Plus when checking the cross reference of 502 it says nothing about replacing 413 or 483. Are you saying I've had the wrong timer in my fridge for 16 years?
when I enter my refrigerator model # ***** sears parts direct it still calls out 483.

Are you sure you have given me the correct model number? See the GE lookup for the model you provided below. Number 257 is the timer.

CLICK HERE

I gave you the correct model #. This is going to go nowhere fast if you treat me like an idiot. I understand all that and see that it calls out 502. But you're not reading what I'm sending or something. IF I REPLACED THE TIMER WITH THE SAME EXACT ONE WHY SHOULDN'T IT WORK?? Plus Sears parts direct calls out 483. ( As I said before.)

Wow, I am not sure how you came up with that but I am no longer interested in helping you at this point. Perhaps another will help, good luck.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello, I am a different tech

Does the unit work with the old timer?

Please read ALL of the original material and transcripts and get back to me. The original timer was visibly damaged/discolored and when I removed it one of the connections came off near the point of most discoloration. That is why I replaced it.

OK get a jumper wire and connect terminal 3 to 4 on the defrost plug. That should turn on the compressor if not you have something more wrong with the unit.

That did not work.

OK if you jumped 3 to 4 and the compressor did not come on nor the fans you have something more wrong with the unit besides the timer. You need a volt meter to do some further checking

I have a 7 function multi tester will that work? If so what do I set it at?
You know I have bypassed the defrost thermostat at this point.

SO the compressor or nothing runs correct?

Nothing runs. Interior lights come on.

Then you need to likely replace the temp control. Get at that and jumper the two wires to it together, if it comes on which it should replace that.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

You're the expert but I thought we were going to do some tests with a volt meter.

First do that and then we can go from there ok?

Since there are 2 temp controls but only the fresh food side dials down to Off I assume that is the one I jump. The

Yes exactly

Since I am not a tech this is going to take some time. In order to access the freezer control I need to remove the light shield, console, knobs, extensions and the fresh food control first. It is already 9:30 my time. What hours are you available? I'm thinking about starting on this fresh in the morning.

Just post back to me I answer most of the day.

Thanks a lot. Talk to you tomorrow.

sounds good

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician