Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My name is ***** *****. I am having trouble with the handle

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** *****. I am having trouble with the handle on my freezer. It needs to be screwed in, but I can't figure out how to access the screws.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: One side of the handle is loose and the other side completely came off. It is a Whirlpool refrigerator model GB2FHDXWSO4
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

To remove this handle you must grab the handle and yank straight to the left really hard with a quick jerk. Now sometimes the handle is installed upside down because the installers remove the handles to get through your door way and when they put it back on they put it on upside down. Nothing changes except that you must grab the freezer handle and yank to the right really hard with a quick jerk to unclip and remove the handle. Then you can tighten down the mounting bolts behind the handle and re-install the handle.

If you need to remove the refrigerator handles, the same process is used except you lift and pull straight up hard.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Being that the handle is already loose and one side is completely off, jerking it to the left and right is not working.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You may need to push the handle in toward the door and then yank. I'm not sure there is another way to remove the handle even if it's loose.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can also try to put a block of wood on the side of the handle and hit it with a hammer while someone is pulling on the handle in order to create the jerking movement needed to unclip the handle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** working. How do I go about getting my deposit refunded?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

I am a different tech would you still like some help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really think I am going to have someone come to the house. How can I get my $ refunded?