Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Both fans are working on my F&P fidge freezer but fresh food…

Customer Question
Doug. Both fans are...

Doug. Both fans are working on my F&P fidge freezer but fresh food section will not cool down below plus 18 degrees

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Flashing alarsm on control panel and occasional beeping alarm about 3 times a day

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Once holding the = sign button for more than 10 seconds the whole "Smart" fridge system shuts off as expected and there are no alarms for 80 hours. The freezer then gets quite cold at minus 18 and fresh food compartment may get a little cooler at plus 12. Occasionally when closing the door the audible alarm will go off and will only stop by pushing the = sign button again!
I forgot to add,, the appliance make a light buzzing sound once every 3 seconds!
2/1/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It sounds to me like the compressor is having trouble starting intermittently and is allowing the temperatures inside to climb. Do you ever find the temperature too high?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Hi Kelly. Its a E521TLX. The compressor sounds like it's working just fine!
The freezer compartment is keeping down to minus 18-20 so the compressor surely must e working ok?

I would agree, that is odd. Can you tell where the buzzing sound is coming from?

The buzzing sound appears to from the back of the freezer compartment,, it's certainly more obvious when you open the freezer door. Not the fan obviously as the fan is ok and obviously switches off when the door is opened!

Hmm, maybe there is some ice that is around the fan blade and the noise is the blade hitting it. Are you able to remove the panel from the inside of the freezer for inspection?

No,, not ice,, it's too consistent and regular,, sounds more like an electronic buzz. Haven't tried removing the panel as all my research so far has told me it isn't the fan!

That is the only thing behind the panel that would cause the noise.

Well when I say that,, it does appear to be the fan in that the wire could be broken but I hear the fan running when it should and should not be running,, both freezer and freshfood compartment fans!!!

I think we need to get a look back there and see what is happening.

Why would it buzz every 3 seconds and for a short burst of only 1 second? I'm assuming there should be no buzz anyway?
That still doesn't explain why the freshfood compartment won't cool down very much!

I am not sure, that is pretty odd.

That's why we need to access the area of the noise to see where it is coming from.

I can have a look but it's going to take a half hour or so to transfer the food to our other small (already full) freezer and then dismantle. Will you be here when I come back to you?

Yes, I will be in and out for then next several hours.

Nothing looking wrong here?

Have you heard the noise with the cover off?

No noise,, just putting it back together now!

See if the noise comes back once the panel is on. Make sure no pinched wires and no issue with the cover interfering with the fan blade.

No electronic buzzing sound,, just waiting to see if freshfood compartment cools down now,, although nothing has changed so I can't see why it should do anything different now. Fans are both working as previously.
Outside panels are getting rather hot now,, they were doing that before anyway! I've got a free standing pedestal fan on the back and side of the whole appliance as that was the only way to cool it down previously! It's not looking hopeful!

Is the fan in the back by the compressor running?

yip,, just like it did before

Is the heat still building? Has the noise returned?

Yip the buzzing sound appears to have gone. The side of the appliance is very hot

You have verified that the fan that is mounted in the back at the bottom of the cabinet, by the compressor, is running?

The fan I removed was where the buzzing was,, the top cabinet (the freezer compartment) and replaced it. That fan runs! the other fan runs okay too apparently. That panel is fitted in the correct slots! The compressor is running.

The heat is probably normal with the doors being pen for so long. Once it cools down inside, it will not be so warm on the outside. I see on that model ( I had to look up E521T) that the condenser is ran throughout the cabinet walls, so that is why they are hot.

Its been on for a while now,, I would have thought it had time to cool. But its a warm day so maybe hard to tell. Wil give it time yet and see if the freshfood compartment stabilises at the decent temp around 3-5 degrees!

Sounds good, keep me posted!

No change,, just as well I have an actual technician coming along soon!

Sounds like a sealed system issue. Thank you.

Hey, you charged me $39 yet initially it stated there would only be a charge at the end once the problem was sorted. The problem is still not sorted and you certainly didn't do anything towards sorting it. So get that refund sorted immediately thanks!