Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an older model refer. model GTH18GCDCRBB. The ice…

Customer Question
I have an older model...
I have an older model refer. model GTH18GCDCRBB. The ice maker in it does not work. Hose (tube) coming out of the wall has water pressure. It goes behind the backing at the bottom of the refer. There it has a nut that holds it to a bracket that is attached to the tube that goes up to the ice maker, but there is no water coming out of that tube. Gray tube water source. To black tube to ice maker. Is there some valve to open or reset button, or can I bypass the black tube and have the water (gray tube) go directly to the ice maker. Thanks Larry..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/31/2016
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thankyou for using this service!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your fridge

Let's work together to find out what is wrong :)

The tube from the wall goes to the icemaker fill valve. From there is goes up to the IM.

There is a two wire plug attached to the valve that activates the valve when the IM calls for water. If you have water from the wall, then you have either a problem with the valve itself or the tube going from valve up to the IM is blocked. Probably by ice. If you remove the tube off the IM you should be able to blow thru the tube up to the IM.

We are on the honor system here. Please rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

If you feel I have provided superior service, a bonus is much appreciated , but never required. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

I am not in the house where the refer is so I can't test it as of yet. I will give the stars if it works. I am not sure what you mean by remove the tube off the ice maker, then should be able to blow through the tube up to the ice maker. I am assuming you mean to remove the tube from the valve its self and blow from there. Also be advise this refer has not been plugged in for more than a week, so there is no ice problem. Has not made ice since I plugged it in. I will check the possibilities you mentioned and get back to you. I will be doing that tomorrow.

Sorry , I meant icemaker valve as you guessed. If you can blow from the valve, you should not get restriction.

Also, an easy way to test the icemaker is to just pour some water into the molds and let it run overnight. In the am you should have a batch of cubes and then you know you have a valve problem.

I tried both suggestions and still the ice maker does not work. I put in a new electric valve, and a new hose from valve to ice maker. Water comes out of the water source line like crazy, but does not get past the valve. Yes its plugged in, valve, refer, and ice maker. Refer. works fine. Light even comes on when the door is opened. LOL Only other thing it can be I would think, is the ice maker is not sending a signal to the valve. I could not find any reset button. So now what do you think? I can't give a good rating if the problem wasn't solved.

There is only 2 parts to the system. The icemaker and the valve.

Take a cup and add some water to the icemaker and see if it dumps the batch of ice the next day. There is no reset. If you have replaced the valve, that would only leave the icemaker as the probable cause. Your model used the older electronic icemaker and the unit has a water test that should activate the water valve every time you fip the power switch on the side of the Icemaker. If that test fails, you need to replace the icemaker

I haven't answered because it is my son's house I am trying to get ready to rent and I don't go over every day. I however will be trying that water in the ice maker deal tomorrow.
Ok I put water in the ice maker and it froze but did not dump. No what? Also if this was the first thing we tried I probably could have saved myself $60 plus dollars for the valve. Now we know it is apparently the ice maker it self. Is there a test to figure out if it can be repaired or has to be replaced?

Back on a previous chat, I said to pour water into the icemaker and watch it. Maybe you just missed it.

1/31/16

"Also, an easy way to test the icemaker is to just pour some water into the molds and let it run overnight. In the am you should have a batch of cubes and then you know you have a valve problem."

The system uses only the two components, the valve and the icemaker, and unfortunately there is no repairs on the electronic icemaker . Your only option is replacement.

The icemaker is bad or it would have given you a batch of cubes.