Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Maytag Centennial washing machine washes but when it

Customer Question
comes time to spin it...
My Maytag Centennial washing machine washes but when it comes time to spin it won't
what do you think?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/31/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. There are several different designs of Centennials so I will need the model number to be able to help you. It is under the lid back under the hinge area.

Thanks Dave, Im sorry it took me so long to get the model number Its a maytag centennial Model# *****
ser # *****

Thanks and sorry I was slow. I was out for a while. Your washer has an electronic control and we can enter diagnostics and get failure codes. There probably will be more than one. It is a little complicated so I include a video at the end that will help. Let me know what you get.

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present.

Diagnostic video link

Hello, have you been able to get the codes?

Hi DaveI haven't been able to get the codes to work. Part of my problem is my computer is in one house and the washer is in another house. I printed out the steps and followed them as best I could. Nothing happened You stated I should turn clockwise 3 clicks waiting 1/2 second between clicks then one cclw and one more clw. I couldn't get this to work. Before you gave me these steps a video on youtube said 3 clicks left, 3 clicks right, 1 left and 1 right. This worked for me. Since then I haven't been able to get over there again. I'm a little confused about what happens next. Again my machine won't go into the spin cycle. Does the machine just need to be reset or does the machine need parts replaced. I hope to get back over there tomorrow and try again. I hope you and I can solve this problem tomorrowThanks so much
Ed

Ed, the link I provided is a video made by Whirlpool and the steps I gave came straight from the techsheet so they should be the same. Let me know what codes flash.

Ed, do you have an update with what codes flashed?

Ed, do you still need help?