Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Ice maker left ON during water supply failure. Several days.

Customer Question
Ice maker left ON during...
Ice maker left ON during water supply failure. Several days. Bottom freezer bought 2015.
When operating normally ice is unusual shape; look like miniature pillows.
Label taped to the front of ice maker housing warns to leave the ice maker off until the water supply is connected. Fix? Abandon all hope?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/30/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave. The reason they say to have the ice-maker turned off when the water is turned off is that when the ice-maker tries to fill it just squirts enough water into the fill tube to hang there but not to go all the way through. What has happened is that the fill tube is frozen shut. If it is feasible, you can turn off the refrigerator and open the doors for 24 hours and there will be no cost to you. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Have you decided if you want to or can turn off the refrig for 24 hours with the doors open? Do you still need help?

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave