Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a microwave Jenn Air (JMC8100ADB) that is blowing…

Customer Question
I have a microwave Jenn...
I have a microwave Jenn Air (JMC8100ADB) that is blowing fuses. The repairman I took it to told me the transformer was bad and it was obsolete, so he tried to sell me a new one. Its a oven/Microwave combo so didn't really want to do that, so I orderd a recertified transformer online and tried it and the fuses still blow.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/27/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any testing .

No, I can get one. I'm not at home right now. I did try a few things and can get the microwave to run throught a time cycle with 20amp fuse installed, but it won't heat.
Can I send you a picture description of what I tried? I think what I did wouldn't let the magnetron run, but want your opinion. everything functioned I think except the magnetron. The timer, turntable, fan, all worked, it timed out as normal and then stopped with the ring at the end like normal.
The unit is a oven combo so I would like to get a couple more years out of it before we do kitchen remodel
The thermal sensor wire, plugs into the control module, I unplugged that and it worked as normal without blowing a fuse, did as I described, but wouldn't heat, since suspect the magnetron wasn't functioning.

ok so then you will need to get a meter and test the magnetron to see if it or the capacitor and diode are shorted to ground those three things are the magnetron circuit

and yes a picture and description of what you have done would be great!

I can't past into this window. Can I email it?

just use the attachment icon and send it in the post.

Please view the PDF attached

ok your thermal sensor is the magnetron thermostat if it was bad or the wires removed the transformer will not get power to produce the high voltage needed for the magnetron to fire.

So we are still on the high voltage side.

And you will need a meter to ohm out the magnetron to see if it has continuity or not and then the diode and the capacitor also.

Ok. Then that looks like next steps for me. I will get a ohm meter to check out the items you have outlined. This won't happen until later, so not sure how we keep this issue open until I can contact you with results and further assistance.

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Can we pick this conversation up if I log back into my acct? The URL won't save?? has the symbols in it that aren't acceptable to save to in favorites??

copy and past it somewhere the just past it into your URL address !

Ok thank you.

no problem!