Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was told my thermidor microwave had to be replaced due to

Customer Question

I was told my thermidor microwave had to be replaced due to when we try to use it the unit just shuts off after about 4 seconds. They said magnetron and possibly the "something board" is bad. It is only 3 years old this April. Is there any way at all to order parts and fix it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, let's say you put something in to heat it up. Press 20 seconds on any temperature then start. It just shuts off automatically after 3-4 seconds.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So yes, the unit can be repaired, but it's hard to know what is causing your issue or what part you need. There are actually 3 possibilities---the magnetron, the inverter board, or the most likely culprit would be one of the 3 door switches has failed. If you have a model number any and all parts can be ordered at Searspartsdirect.com. You can't really test the magnetron or the inverter board, but if you have a multimeter you can test the 3 door switches and see if one is bad. The most common issue is that one of the door switches has failed which cuts power to the magnetron. The fact that the magnetron isn't drawing power is why the microwave shuts off after 4 seconds which can only be caused by those 3 options I mentioned before. At 3 years old, all parts are still available for this microwave.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these parts really expensive that you know of?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The door switches are not, but both the magnetron and the inverter are very expensive at about $200 each usually. Keep in mind, only one part is bad---it's just difficult to track down which part that is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! At $200 for the part, it is still cheaper than $800 for a new one! I appreciate your answer. Now to track down those part numbers and that tester. (I am a 50 year old house wife and hoping I can fix this)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem and I wish you only the best. The only good news is that the door switch is usually the problem and those are cheap.