Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Duet GEW9250PWO that will start sometimes…

Customer Question
I have a Whirlpool Duet...
I have a Whirlpool Duet GEW9250PWO that will start sometimes and sometimes not. You can kill power and it may start after pressing the start button several times.
Alos, it will run for a few minutes then stop.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/26/2016
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago
Joel Swenson

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for using JA! If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner.

Give me just a minute and I will be right with you I am working on your answer now please be patient as I may have to look up part numbers and or refer the service manual to give you the most informative answer possible depending on your question.

Keep in mind we are on the honor system for our time so I ask that you take the time to give me a rating by clicking on the 5 star rating system before you leave today. Once I have answered your question, you will see the rating system please use it. If you agree to this please acknowledge and thank you for your cooperation.

Understood. I have used this service before and have always been pleased.Take your time. I have the dryer top off and have a multi-meter on standby.
Please stop. I believe I have found the problem. I have a burned solider joint on the motor relay on the power supply board.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

ya it's either the motor which I was writing up how to do the test or a bad motor relay on main board

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

would you like me to tell you how to determine for sure which it is?

I pulled the board and looked at the back side. A big ol' black burned joint on the relay. I cleaned off the carbon and it the lead is just floating in the socket.Let me solider this and we can go from there if needed.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

here I will just tell you:

measure the resistance across P1-3 and P1-4. If resistance across P1-3 and P1-4 is in the range of 1 to 6 ohms, replace the board.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

refer to the schematic for locations of p1-3 and p1-4 on the board:

click here

I already had the info pulled up so might as well give it to you in case you need it.

I had already checked the relay as it had a schematic on it and it is good.
Thanks
Hi. I soldered the bad connection with no luck. Any other ideas?
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Ok the bad connection on the motor control board .

would NOT cause the unit to some times start and other times not to start.

and when you say (Start) do you mean for the unit to power up or that it does power up and fills but that the drive motor stops

The unit powers up and all lights/buttons are operational. It will sometimes start running and other times won't. It always heats up.

ok so your saying that it heats up even if the drum drive motor is not running?

and when it powers up but will not run does the time display still count down?

When you get it to start, motor runs, drum turns and it heats up. You may have to push the button and reset it about 10 times before it starts.

ok you said (It will sometimes start running and other times won't. It always heats up.)

#1 My question is when it Always heats up is it heating when it is not running?

And have you opened up the interface to see if you have any thing wrong with the start button lever?

It only heats when running.Start button appears to be ok.

ok how can you say the start button is ok if you have to push it over and over to get the unit to start?

I hear a relay clicking and it sometimes bumps the motor. Plus, I ran the diagnostic test and it worked.

ok so you press the start button and can hear a relay on the main control click and or the motor starts then stops.

You have a faulty relay on the main control board.

You need to replace the main control board.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/8546219/1060737?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Thanks

glad to assist you anytime.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.