Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Advantium 120 is dead, no light, nothing Check circuit

Customer Question
Advantium 120 is dead, no...
Advantium 120 is dead, no light, nothing Check circuit breaker, seems to work.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/26/2016
Appliance Technician: Sean F., Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Sean F.
Sean F., Customer Service

Thanks for using Just Answers. My name is***** come from a family background of appliance service and have over 20 yrs in the field. If you have been waiting, sorry, don't get discouraged. I am one of the techs on Just Answers and might have someone ahead of you. I WILL work as fast I can to analyze your problem and get to you. Please understand that I am not at your home looking at the appliance myself. You are my eyes & ears! I will work with you to figure out what is wrong with your appliance. I will give you my honest professional opinion of the problem. But be advised there are some issues that require special tools to analyze or repair the problem. Thank you for excepting me for you appliance issue. I'll be right with you and please don't forget to rate my service at completion..

**Hi. Do you happen to have a multi electrical meter?

Was the unit being used when this happen?

Was it being used as a timer?

no

Please check the plug that the microwave plugs into for power. If you have power to the plug go ahead unplug it. What needs to happen next is to remove the grill just above the door. There should be a 2-3 screw on top of the microwave holding the grill. After that is off you will need to remove the control panel. You will see one screw holding that panel, after it is removed you will need to lift up on the panel a little and then tilt it down towards you. After that you will look inside the microwave and at the top you will see a small board with a white or gray ceramic fuse. Remove it and check for continuity to see if it is good. let me know what you find.

This is in one of my rentals, so had to get permission for access. Checked the electrical plug and do have electricity. Took the control panel off but could not see any the white or gray ceramic fuse. Is it in one of the connectors or on a board. Is in on the back of the control panel or inside with all the wires?
OK ordered fuse and installed, but still does not work.

Before you tried turning it on did everything light up with the new fuse in it? I'm taken it the old fuse was bad?

No, even after replacing the fuse, nothing would light up, even the light under the unit. Any suggestions?

Have you checked for power where the fuse snaps in?

no power

OK your going to need inspect that board that the fuse connect's to for burn marks or loose solder joints. If you cant find anything there trace back the wires to the cord to see if you can see a bad wire.

In talking to the tenant, they were using the oven, and it seemed to get hot. How about the thermal unit? I have to make an appointment every time to inspect and take the unit apart. I will take the unit off and take home to work on in my garage so easier to respond. Board was hard to dismantle with plastic connectors on the wall. I did not do a close inspection of board as
was hard to get out into the open with all wires attached. Had to take off the plastic grid in front of this section to see the board. Just got it out enough to replace the fuse, then plugged back in to see if work. Nothing would light up.

Those little plastic connectors have a little tab on it to push in on to remove that control control.

Stop everything. There is another fuse on this thing. I forget this is the Advantium mic. It not a stander microwave.

Your going to to be looking for on that break down #4009 and #1626. Here is the diagram. Its not the greatest. Since You are starting to get close to the the high voltage capacitor your going to be very careful of discharge it . The capacitor is #1438. I will send you video how to discharge the capacitor.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaDI_42iFU

Do you have a video of where the second fuse is located. Do you have to take the unit down and go in the back?

I thought you forgot about me. LOL`

Did you get the link I sent the other day with the break down on where it is?

it shows me nothing as to how to get to it. You have a video?

Sorry no video. You will have to pull the unit down and take it apart.

Bought another Advantium 120 to replace as could not have tenant wait any longer. so Old is sitting in my garage and have
not had time to look for the second fuse. Will contact you as soon as I find it.

OK

Ok Found both fuses. I have Pdf picture if you have e-mail I can send so you have for someone else. Had to take cover off to get to second fuse. Check both fuses and have conductivity to both. I ordered a new fuse to to make sure. I thought it might be the thermocouple, but tested for conductivity and get positive reading.(have picture to send, if you want) definitely have to take cover off to access. Circuit boards look ok with not burn spots. Any ideas what is next?

Do you see a thermo fuse on the magnetron?