Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer. I purchased in 2007.

Customer Question
I have a Whirlpool Duet...
I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer. I purchased in 2007. Has always run perfectly until now. I use Downey in my rinse cycle. Until about a year ago my towels always came out very soft. Within the last year when I use Downey the towels come out very rough. I had a technician come out and he charged me $70 to say he couldn't see any problem. Why would Downey now not work in my washer. Please advise. For me this is a BIG problem. Thanks, Connie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/25/2016
Appliance Technician: AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
AppTech8579
AppTech8579, Home Appliance Technician

Front loader?

I said yes I have a front loader. Haven't received anything else from you. I have not had my problem resolved. No feedback.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech, if the towels are coming out rough either the fabric softener dispenser is not being rinsed or possibly there is too little softener in the unit. Try filling up the dispenser full with softener and see what happens. If the solution is all rinsed out of the dispenser it is getting into the machine so the machine will not actually be causing this, so that would mean there is a chance you got a bad bottole of Downy. I have seen that happen

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I use plenty of Downey softener. The first 5 years I had the machine it worked perfectly and people said "I have the softest towels ever. Then suddenly they feel like sand paper. I have run hot water in the softener dispenser hoping to clear something. Nothing improved.

The machine itself will not make them feel like that, now if the towels are old they will feel like that as well. You can try to run vinegar through the machine to clear it out, but if these are the same towels from 5 years ago the towels may be old and they get sand paper like after that many washes since the fabric breaks down.