Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Removing the ice maker from a Frigidaire refrigerator -

Customer Question
Removing the ice maker...

Removing the ice maker from a Frigidaire refrigerator - model # ***** I have it completely dismanteled, but there are still some copper tubes with no quick disconnects that I can see. I don't know if they are for water or - heaven forbid - freon. Can you help?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I don't know how much more detail I can give - except I need to know how to disconnect the copper tubes going into the ice maker.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/24/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

You can not remove the icemaker in this refrigerator. This is the most over designed icemaker to ever hit the market and those are freon lines which are built into the entire sealed system. The icemaker doesn't remove and this icemaker was only built for 1 year before Frigidaire decided to change out the icemaker for a traditional Samsung icemaker with no freon line and such. You can not convert your current unit to the new style however. It's just really unfortunate that you bought it the first year Frigidaire came out with a french door refrigerator, but that is why you have this style of icemaker.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I guess I get to pay $28 AND by a new refridgerator. Wonderful...

You appear to be on a membership, I'm not sure what the charges are, but the unit can be fixed. I'm not sure why you're trying to remove the icemaker but removing the icemaker is not an option I'm sorry to say.

The ice maker has been "fixed" twice. It has never worked past the first year. We though we could remove it. We were wrong. Honestly, no one around here wants to even touch these crappy fridgedairs. I'll never buy another one again...

So, I can understand why people don't want to work on them. I was trained by Frigidaire factory and I definitely didn't like seeing them at first. But as time goes on I am one of the few that understand them well. The problem is---I can fix the icemaker but I can't make it more reliable. It will continue to fail. That is the problem with being too complicated and over designed. These icemaker tend to fail about once a year whether it's a switch or a motor or even the freon system hot gas valve---they just fail. I'm sorry about the situation your in but I hope you understand that this is not something I can control. These are just the cards that both you and I are dealt.