Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

FGUN2642LF6 Model Galaxy with freezer on bottom...ice maker

Customer Question
does not work. It has a...
FGUN2642LF6 Model Galaxy with freezer on bottom...ice maker does not work.
It has a water supply, filter light says OK, it used to leak so I turned it off, now ready to adddress the leak and it does NOT make ice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
off/on lever is in ON position
1/23/2016
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

The icemaker was leaking or some thing else was leaking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the ice maker WAS leaking, when I turned the water off, the leak stopped. Then a month later I turned it back on and it no longer makes ice.

is it still leaking?

If you feel inside the icemaker mold cavity is there ice in the mold or is it empty?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it does NOT leak now. I check the water supply at the valve to the frig and it has water.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot feel any ice in it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot feel any WATER either.

ok so then lets manually cycle the icemaker.

Remove the white cover off the front of the icemaker and turn the large gear clock wide by using a straight screw driver to force the gear to turn.

And see if it then cycle fills and watch it to see if the icemaker itself is leaking or if the incoming water is overflowing out og the rear plastic white cup area.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I'll be back in a minute.

no problem once you get the icemaker to start to cycle it will take just over 1 minute for it to cycle a complete 360 and fill .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can NOT get the white cover off of the front of the device. How do I do that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, got the front off, found the large gear, used a screw driver to force it clockwise

ok let it cycle a full revolution and see if it fills and leaks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not seeing ANY water coming out of any place. I see no water in the tray, but am waiting.

is the gear rotating or has if stopped?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The gear has not moved. I marked a few minutes ago and it has not moved.

ok you have to force the gear until it starts to turn !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
force the gear UNTIL IT STARTS to run? I need to turn it again and again until it starts?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have turned it several times and can see no movement in the gear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No movement on ITS PART, I can and have turned the gear myself, with a screw driver, but on its own...it is still.

ok you have to turn the gear about 1/16-1/32 of a revolution for the icemaker to then take over and start turning the gear on its own.

And of course make sure the on/ off arm is down.

Remove cover by inserting screwdriver in notch at bottom and prying cover from housing. Use screwdriver to rotate motor gear counterclockwise until holding switch circuit is completed. All components of ice maker should function to complete the cycle.

This is what the manufacture says on cycling the icemaker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Counterclockwise"?
There is an arrow engraved on the side pointing to a clockwise movement.
You want me to turn the gear BACKWARDS?

you can rotate the smaller motor gear counter clockwise to turn the large gear clockwise.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, well, I have seen signs of life. The mark a made earlier has moved beyond my second setting, but it must be so slow
that the human eye cannot see it. Does it move in big jumps?

no it takes over 1 min for a full rotation

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it must! BEcause it moved a quarter turn since I came to my computer. I cannot see any movement, but when I leave, its jumps. Odd device, I would think that a gear would be designed to make gradual movement.

it is very slow some models the icemaker does not have voltage to it when the freezer door is opened

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok good. But now there is no sign of movement since it got back the its starting point.

so the white rake arms should be approx the 1 o`clock position when the unit has stopped.

It that were they have stopped at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let's see....no. It is at 3. It made one revolution back to its stuck point. I heard a sound but there was no ice.Now is unmoving again and the wire arm is a 3, down, in the on position.

is there water in the mold now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nope

ok so right now we can not see where is is leaking from .if you can not get water to enter the icemaker.

And if no water is entering the icemaker that would be a water inlet valve issue.

this is a dual water valve one side for the chilled water ,the other for the icemaker.

The water inlet valve will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/242252702/2692163?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=241734302?rcaid=1000070

Then one you get water you can then see if the icemaker itself is leaking.

If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK but I do NOT have a "chilled water" device. I only have an icemaker in the freezer which is a bottom drawer of the frig.Does that make a difference?

then it may be for the water to go in to the water filter then ,but that is the correct part for the model number you gave.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
youre saying that the problem may be that water is not getting through the filter? If that is the case, I replaced the filter last night, perhaps it takes some time get make the trip to the ice maker.But...should not the icemaker cycle through continuously even though there was not water?

not the icemaker will only cycle once then it waits for approx 1 1/2 hours then cycles again.

The water goes into the water filter then into the icemaker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 1/2 HOURS? Is that right? I thought it would cycle every 1 1/2 MINUTES?

the wait of 1 to 1 1/2 hours is for the icemaker thermostat to get cold enough to close then automatically cycle if you have no water to make the thermostat get cold enough it will not cycle.

no if it cycled every 1 1/2 min it would fill and overflow each time it filled ,the unit can not freeze water in 1 1/2 minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good info! So I need to wait 1 1/2 HOURS to see if there is any progress. Maybe at the end of today there will be water arriving at the ice maker from the filter.Then we have the leak problem to address.So that sound right?

it could be that with the filter full of air you have to let the icemaker cycle a few times before it will fill with water to purge the sir out of the system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, can I let it work overnight and get back to you tomorrow?

no problem I will pick it up when I log on !

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** would that be? What time zone or continent are you in? I am in Oregon on the Pacific Time.

I`m in EST

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, so its 1 PM here, it must be like 4 PM there, so Ill check in with you like tomorrow morning your time.Thanks Woody, your the man!

no problem !

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Do you still need assistance on your question?

Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech