Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a maytag Atlantis Washer Model # MAV6451AGW. Some…

Customer Question
I have a maytag Atlantis...
I have a maytag Atlantis Washer Model # ***** Some days ago somebody open the lid during a cycle between a Rinse and a Spin. The machine did not like it and since it does not spin or wash.
I have done few test :
I have checked all different position of the timer and I have the same result Motor Humming but not rotating
I bypass the lid switch and got the same results.
I have tested the motor itself on a bench and the motor is rotating clockwise and anti clockwise as expected ( with no load)
I have repeated the test in situ by connecting the motor to the main directly and bypassing the timer /controller I removed the belt also and the motor was rotating both direction
I then re positioned the belt and then the motor did not rotate but was humming in both direction
I suspect a faulty agitator/ gear box ( the pump is ratating freely)
The question is how can I ensure where the fault is
or I am completely wrong ?
Thank you for your help
Luc
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/20/2016
Appliance Technician: Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician

Hello sir my name is ***** ***** will do my best to help u resolve this issue. Are you there

I am now
Luc
Hi Ezekiel, What are the information you need?
Luc

Hello can take off the drive belt and that pulley does it wobble a all

Sorry for my sentence it probably makes no sense a little computer issues

The Pulley does not wobble at all

Ok spin the pulley one way the agitator should move then spin the wheel the opposite direction and the inner tub should move in a circle

when I turn the pulley anticlockwise the agitator will rotate and it is very easy done
When I rotate the pulley clockwise the inner tube will rotate but it is a lot harder and the rotation will stop quite abruptly if the rotation stop . There is also like a spring effect when I do it . the pulley tends to rotate back.
Does this make sense ?
Sorry Ezekiel
I am off for lunch now and I should be back within a hour (I know it is a long lunch but it is good food as well...
Cherio
Luc

Ok thats good news and the water pump spins freely as well no restriction is that correct

Ok luc based on what we have checked and you have checked the problem here is the drive motor windings are going bad the motor i s weak it starts just fine when its not secured in place and the belt on but as soon as you put on the belt and its secured in place the motor hums . Luc please rate me on my service and ability to help you determine the problem as that is how i get paid for helping you. Any questions after your lunch ill be online another 2 hours

Could you please tell me what sort of resistance I should get for the different coils/ windings and between what wires on the motor I should check them.
If I understand properly the solution is to change the motor.Could you please tell me where to get one here in New Zealand or eventually in The States
Thank you

Hi sure you can order it at wwwrepairclinic.com this company is out of michigan they do same day shipping .80 percent of companies order here

Thank you for the web site
What about the resistance and the wires to used . I have the following colors
White, Red, Black, Yellow, Blue, Purple.
I insist on this information as Getting a motor in New Zealand is quite expensive and I would like to double check the faulty motor.

Let me get some info

I would appreciate it I am off now and I hope to get the answer when I come back (few hours),
Thank you

Sir i have given you as much info as to what is going on with your washer i was not able to find anything on the continuity for the motor im going to step out and let any tech assist you with that info for the motor .

Thank you , but how do I get in contact with the Technician you are referring to?
Ezekiel
Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician