Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

GE fridge Profile water/ice dispenser not working when I

Customer Question

Customer: GE fridge Profile water/ice dispenser not working when I connect the solenoid. Tried a new board and new solenoid, but keeping doing the same thing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ice dispenser was not working, just water, I thought was the board, installed a new one ut forgot to connect the solenoid, when a test the water, auger motor and crusher worked but not the solenoid, when a connected the solenoid the auger and crusher stopped working
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
Which solenoid are you talking about?

And when you test the water the auger motor and crusher work!!

So your saying when you select chilled water and press the ice dispenser runs,, is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GE Profile model PSS26MSTDSS.
With a new board and new solenoid the symptons are the same as the old ones.
Without connecting the solenoid on the board everything runs ok . Water dispenser, the auger,crusher butthe flap won't open as expected.
If I connect the solenoid just the water dispenser works, the auger doesn't turn.
The simptons are the same with the old board and old solenoid. I found that by accident because I forgot to connect the solenoid when I change the board and when I connect the solenoid ice despenser sttoped working. I've checked all the connections on the bottom and everything is ok, that is clear because without the solenoid everything is working

ok so then it sounds like this solenoid your talking about is for opening the dispenser chute door is that correct?

And which control board did you replace?

I noticed your request for a phone call. Unfortunately, that's not something I'm able to do.
I`m an expert that works from my own appliance repair business in a remote location and not in a Just Answer office.
I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here directly on your question page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid is to open the dispenser flap

ok I had to ask that because you have like 5-6 solenoids on this model that do different things.

So now with control board was it that you replaced? and a part number would be nice also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The board for the dispenser

Ok are you talking about item #93

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/4/00123400/00123486.i01/680/900

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WR55X10643 dispenser interface

Ok for the model number you have given of PSS26MSTDSS I`m showing that that is not the correct part number for your model.

How looked the part number up for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I`m sorry I did not ask a Yes or no question .

I asked WHOM looked the part number up for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The interface is exactly the same as the original
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That number is ***** sears direct parts

It may look the same but the software is different

I`m on Sears parts direct and the dispenser interface for your model is NOT WR55X10643

it is showing a part number of WR55X10631 and it does not sub to the number you have ,nor does the number you have sub to the correct number!

Are you able to bring up Sears parts direct at this time?

WR55X10643

If you can open both links and look at the actual photo of the parts.

You have this one

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Dispenser-Control-Board/WR55X10643/1266092

BUT need this one

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/ge-refrigerator-parts/WR55X10631/0046/363/model-PSS26MSTDSS/0432/0165000.html

And Repair clinic shows a better price on the correct part that you need . and their warrant on the part is a lot better then Sears.

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Dispenser-Front-Panel/WR55X10631/1266081?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The simptons are the on the 2 boards I have the new one and the old one

ok but you also need to replace with the correct part before we go any farther!

I suspect that the software is not the same in the two control board ,because they look identical from the front ,but if they were the same they would have the same part numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to get home tonigrh and get the number direct from the board

ok I will wait to see what you come up with then .till later!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did talk to Sears and the part shipped is in fact 10631, which is for white appliance.
My model is black and the board is black so fits perfectly

Did you ask them it the software was different between the two part numbers?

If the software is the same then as I have suspected your issue is NOT the dispenser interface.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is my point, if I keep the solenoid disconected everything else works but I can open the flap. Solenoid new and old were tested and they are good

The front interface is just that an interface, it does not control the dispenser operations / functions all of that is done via the main control board /mother board as GE calls it in the rear of the unit

The inter face just tells the main control what functions you have selected ,the main control board is what powers those operations.

My recommendation is to replace the main control boar now tha you have confirmed with GE that both of the dispenser interfaces are the same just different color

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo10/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?rcaid=1000070