Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE model FUF20DAFRWH - runs continuously. Seems like the…

Customer Question
GE model FUF20DAFRWH - runs...
GE model FUF20DAFRWH - runs continuously. Seems like the temperature control unit is not communicating with the compressor to stop when the preset temperature is reached. The fan is working fine. The temperature at the 'radiator' is 5deg F, but it's not getting colder than 58deg. F. What should I check next?.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

The freezer is empty. I have removed the panel, and the evaporator coils are frosted from top to bottom, but more at the top than the bottom. The fan above the coils is running.

OK and the freezer won't get below 58 degrees?

Forget it! this is turning out to look more like a scam to me. I'll take the financial hit and get a local guy to help me. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean... I'm just asking you questions to determine what the problem is.

I don't want to switch to a live phone call, for an additional $18.00. I have already committed to a $28.00 fee so far. Who knows what other charges may follow.

That's just an automated option that the website offers. If you don't want to speak by phone you just cancel it out and continue typing.

Thanks Tyler! good night!

Alright, good night and good luck

John, Home Appliance Technician