Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My ice maker stopped making ice

Customer Question

My ice maker stopped making ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So to start, just so you understand the icemaker on this refrigerator typically fails which it stops making ice. The icemaker is made by Samsung and they are inexpensive, but they tend to fail often so below is a link to the icemaker you'd likely need to order and replace for your model.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

As for determining exactly what your issue is so you don't have to guess, you'll want to test the temperature in the ice maker compartment and be sure it's below 10 degrees. The icemaker won't cycle if it's not cold enough. Next, fill up the icemaker using a turkey baster or something like that and just wait 24 hours. See if the icemaker cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't, then you know your icemaker is bad and needs to be replaced. If the icemaker does dump the ice but it won't refill with water, you know that the water line going to the icemaker is either frozen or your dual electronic water valve has a bad solenoid and isn't sending power up to the icemaker. You can check for a frozen line by pulling the refrigerator forward and following the water line from the icemaker area down to the electronic water valve below. Disconnect the water line going up to the icemaker and blow through it to make sure it's clear. If it is, then replace the valve. If it's not clear, then use a hair dryer and try to thaw out the fill tube behind the icemaker because it's frozen with ice.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.