Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I have a Maytag neptune MAH 5500…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I have a Maytag neptune MAH 5500 BWW. It stopped spinning and sounds like a gear is not engaging- sort of like grinding gears without a clutch on a car.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It stopped with clothes wet after washing and water standing in the washing drum. Before stopping and before spinning it made this grinding noise

Contractor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/19/2016
Appliance Technician: Chas, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

Is there still water in the unit? Also can you open the door of the unit?

water in the tub and the door opens. Also, it will agitate but when it starts the spin and drain cycle the noise begins and it never picks up speed.

Have you checked the drain pump to see if that is causing the noise?