Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Broiler will not come on. Kitchenaide double oven gas…

Customer Question
My Broiler will not come...
My Broiler will not come on. Kitchenaide double oven gas range model kgrs505x
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/19/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

If only the broiler doesn't work then it sounds like the broil igniter mounted to the back of the top burner just needs to be replaced. These igniters are designed to last 6-8 years before they get weak and need to be replaced. Even if they glow it doesn't mean they are good. They must draw 3.2 amps or the oven gas safety valve won't open to allow gas into the burner for safety reasons

This stove is only 18 months old??
Can this be tested or ohmed out? I think their is an on board diagnostic test for this oven. Can you tell me how to access to check for faults?

There won't be a fault for this issue and yes the unit does have errors but the errors appear right on the screen as soon as an error is detected and won't go away until you fix the error.

You can not ohm out the igniter but you can ohm out the gas valve. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve below the oven near the back. Unplug the oven and unplug the 3 wires. Test resistance between the top and middle terminals then test between the bottom and middle terminals. It should be around 215 ohms or so and if so then your valve is good

Do I have to take the entire oven apart to replace the igniter? Is it easy to remove? If so how do I remove the igniter?

You may need to pull the oven forward and remove the entire back sheet metal panel, otherwise you can access it inside the oven just looking up to see it as well

Do you have the part number and where can I buy this for the best price? What is the cost for this part?

You would need to speak with a parts store like repairclinic.com to look up parts

Do I just remove two screws one front and one in rear to access inside oven? It looks like it is all one piece with wires routed through the rear wall, or is it a socket that the igniter plugs in to in side of the oven?

The reason you would need to pull the entire out and remove the back sheet metal panel as I described before is to unplug the igniter if you can't do it from the front