Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The instructions of how to replace a DIODE-H in a GE HVM1750…

Customer Question
The instructions of how to...
The instructions of how to replace a DIODE-H in a GE HVM1750 Microwave?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

The diode is not causing that issue. You likely have a bad door switch there are three. Check the top and bottom ones. One is likely bad.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

What do I do to check the door switch? How do I determine which one is bad?
No Thank you. Just answer the question. From what I see there are 2 latches on the door, I take it those are the switches you are talking about? I do not see a 3rd switch. What do I do to check the door switch? How do I determine which one is bad?

Yes the door latch switches

You have to take the switches out and test them with an ohm meter like the video shows for continuity when the switches are depressed/

please provide me with the complete instructions of how to replace the switches and how to replace the Diode. Thank you

Is the gas valve getting power to it can you check for 24 volts across the wires to it?

This is a microwave there is no gas value?

That was not meant for you, I have opted out to see if another expert can assist you in this as I am going offline.

Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 2 years ago
bonzaco

Copy and paste the following into you browser - http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/hvm1750dp2bb/0432/0123370/g1203575/00001.html

Replaciing the HV diode

Disconnect from the electric supply. Remove casing.Locate item 35 the high voltage capacitor. The HV diode (36) is connected to one of the two terminals of this capacitor and then connected to the metal chassis. Remove and replace old with new. Job done

The site you sent me to only showed the diagram with the part listing. What I need are step instructions as to how to replace the diode and the switches. How do I get to the diode and switches?
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 2 years ago

Perhaps you need to understand this, manufacturers of appliances do not give out information to the general public with regard to how to repair their appliances. Two reasons, firstly it could lead them to a legal claim later if you electrocute yourself and secondly it undermines their own service network. We engineers take years to both be trained and also to pick up the tricks of the trade. I have told you how to replace the diode in my post above, I enclosed a diagram so that you could see where the items were so you could subsequently identify them and change them accordingly. With regard to the switches, the video that my college posted gives you all the information that you need to test the switches out also. I am assuming that you are not familiar with test equipment ie the use of a standard multimeter, if not I would suggest that you do a bit of research on how then work then you should be able to locate and test the switches accordingly. If it were me I would change the diode first and then if that didnt work move on to the switches. If you have a multimeter and are unsure of how to use it come back to me and we can resolve that for you too.

I do not remember the agreement mentioning any limit on what questions you will answer.
Showing a diagram does not answer the question "how to replace the switches and how to replace the Diode?". I did not think it was a trade secret of how to access the Diode or the switches. So please answer the question that I have paid you to answer. Thank you.
Also there was no video posted show how to test the switches.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 2 years ago

I suggest that you go back up the page and select the 'CLICK ME' left by my college - that shows you how to check the switches. I totally agree there is no limit to what questions you can ask. However as an expert of 30 years in this field I have a duty of care to ensure that I am happy that you are competent to carry out any task that I advise you on and do not put yourself in danger. So far you have not given me any indication that you can follow the most basic of engineering instructions. Now either you want my help or you want your money back. So far I haven't received a cent for the time I have put in trying to help you. If you would like me to opt out of this question I will be happy to do so.

Thank you for showing me the video. That was helpful. It would of been better if it had a more descriptive labeled. Like "to see how to test the switch click here". I have worked on Washing Machines and Dryer and Refrig and furnaces and water heaters but I do not know how to get into the microwave. That is what I was missing. Now, do you have a video that shows how to replace the DIODE or how to test it?
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdwbjNCK-xw

Thank you
Would you please provide a link to a video that shows how to replace a DIODE-H in a GE HVM1750 Microwave? Thank you.
Appliance Technician: bonzaco,
 replied 2 years ago

Have you found the High Voltage Capacitor?