Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool washer machine and when it drains into

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool washer machine and when it drains into the sink I find small pieces of rusted metal. Any ideas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The outer tub is plastic so if you're getting rust then it would be coming from the inner basket or the center shaft area where the transmission goes up through the washer. You can try to clean out the washer using a product called Washer Magic which you can pick up at your Lowe's store, but other than that a rusting basket or transmission shaft would be about as expensive as the entire washer so it likely wouldn't be worth fixing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u tell me how i would go about finding if one of those two items is the problem? Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You would have to remove the inner basket and just visually inspect to see if the inner basket itself has rust forming on it, or if the rust is coming from the center shaft area. This requires a specialty tool called a "Spanner Wrench" to remove the spanner nut below the agitator.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?