Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our built-in, over the oven GE Microwave is not heating.

Customer Question
What can be the cause...
Our built-in, over the oven GE Microwave is not heating. What can be the cause of this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Good morning, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like you're on the right track. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.