Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We purchased a new Maytag washer and dryer one year ago. So…

Customer Question
We purchased a new...

We purchased a new Maytag washer and dryer one year ago. So far we have had 12 water hoses corrode away but only on the the end connected to the washing machine. After 2-4 weeks the inside end of the hose has a blue-green buildup and the metal inside is corroded away. The hose end breaks off and we have a water leak. Maytag says it's not the machine and the electrician says it is. Eveyone says they have never seen this before. Thoughts?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The house is 12 years old. This problem did not exist until we replaced the old washer and dryer and is not happening anywhere else in the house. What happens is 1. I put new SST hoses on the washing machine. 2. within 2 weeks the end of the hose that is against the washing machine will be badly corroded. A few days after that the metal inside of the end of the hose will be so corroded that the hose will fail. The end of the hose that is not against the washing machine will still look like new.

Contractor's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Not a rush, I've already waited 9 months for an answer. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for an answer.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/16/2016
Appliance Technician: MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician

I have never seen this happen, but you must have some sort of electrolysis action going on to make the metal corrode away so quickly. This is not the fault of the washer as the water valve is plastic and cannot conduct electricity. Try using plain old rubber fill hoses OR get some pipe insulation and cover your stainless braided hoses with it so there is no metal-to-metal contact. As long as the hoses are electrically insulated then this should stop your oddball problem.