Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I was given a GE side by side that gets cold but the freezer…

Customer Question
i was given a GE...
i was given a GE side by side that gets cold but the freezer won't freeze. i have cleaned out the coils there isn't any sign of leaks and its not frozen. what else might the problem be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/16/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

the coils are clear, the fan is running and the compressor is running.

What do you mean by clear? There is no frost at all on the coils? I'm talking about the coils inside the freezer behind the lower back panel inside the freezer.

i have removed the back off of it and checked to make sure there wasn't ice build up. the coils are cold but no frost or ice

OK well that is your problem. The coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom. If they are not frosted at all or they are just partially frosted on some lines it means you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. You'd need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure in order to know which issue you have, but a freon leak costs about $450 to repair and a new compressor would be about $650 I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

i just pulled the back off again. the coil on the back inside of the freezer if cool and there is condensation on the bot***** *****ne and in the drain pan. everything is cool but the freezer won't freeze. its the temp. that the refrigerator is.

Understood and I just told you what the problem was. That's still the answer.