Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Viking VDSC367-6BSS (duel fuel, electric oven).

Customer Question
Oven element shorted out....
I have a Viking VDSC367-6BSS (duel fuel, electric oven). Oven element shorted out. Replaced with new Viking element. Oven would not turn off when set temperature was reached. Replaced thermostat with the thought that when element shorted the thermostat got fried. After oven thermostat just replaced, oven still will not turn off. By the way, broiler works just fine. Time to scrap this POS? or is there a simple part to replace?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
1/14/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

When your element shorts out, there is a relay that tends to short out as well. if you remove the kick panel below the oven door there should be a plastic relay somewhere on the far right usually or the far left under the oven along the front. You'll need to replace this relay and you should be good to go again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have already replaced with brand new Viking parts the: 1) relay under the front kick plate, 2) thermostat, 3) "8" selector switch, and 4) the oven element

There relay isn't anything else that would cause the element to stay on all the time. Either the relay or thermostat came faulty, or one of them isn't wired properly. Nothing else would cause the element to just keep heating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We carefully swapped the wires on the old thermostat to the new thermostat (had my wife watch over my shoulder) and it was the exact part replacement so I don't think it is the thermostat miss wired or bad. The behavour of the old thermostat and the new one are exactly the same. Must be something else I would think. I guess I can check the relay again or replace again as its a very cheap part and I have a spare new one

I would go with that because there really is nothing else that would cause the element to keep heating when it shouldn't---just the relay or the thermostat. Also, I should mention that if the element is grounded out it might keep heating, but it wouldn't get so hot that it glows since it would only be receiving 110 volts when it's not supposed to be heating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This element gets "cherry red" in color and heats up nice and fast.I will take off the front kick plate and look at the relay, perhaps some of the wires leads to the relay moved and are "touching"

Alright well good luck. It definitely has to do with the thermostat or the relay, there is nothing else that can cause it. If you do replace the relay again, cut back any of the wires that were damaged if they look burnt. That can cause the new relay to fail if you connect burnt wires to the relay.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc