Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a amana top load wash machine. the lid safety switch

Customer Question

I have a amana top load wash machine. the lid safety switch broke and I need to finish this load of laundry. can I bypass this switch until I get a replacement and if so how?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

This may be possible, however I will need the correct model number, it should be located near the hinge area of the machine, you need to lower the lid possibly to see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no model number on this thing anywhere. the owners manual shows w10740545a
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

The number on the owners manual is a part number for the manual, it should begin with the letter "A" and the serial number will be on the same tag.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ntw4605ewo
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

thank you. give me a minute or two to check if it is possible.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Is your lid suppose to lock when you run the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only in the spin cycle I believe. prior to that it doesn't
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, this lid switch has to many items in it, and to fool the washer, would be next to impossible. The computer checks this and you would have to have at least 3 switches and stand there constantly until the load was done, moving switches at different points in the wash.. What make you think the lid switch is the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because the switch is broken laying under the top plate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is still soap in there and I need the clothes for tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

That would be a good guess then... You will need to replace it then. I am sorry you are not getting this machine to run by bypassing it, if it broke loose you may be able to lift the top and hold the switch in place until it locks to finish the load, here is a video on replacing the lock to show you how to access it..

Click here

Again I apoligize on your problem...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure that's the right switch. this is a amana not a whirlpool.. very similar in disassembly but the switch was not fastened to the lid with a screw. it fell off but I see nowhere that there was a screw holding it in place?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

If your switch is located in the front right corner of the top, then it is the same. Amana is made by whirlpool since 2006.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again, it wasn't attached with a screw so I am questioning if I order the switch it will attach to the lid.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a picture of the switch you have?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Here is the door lock for your model

Click here for it..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the first part number you gave me was 43.20 on the website. the second one you gave me was 84.32 and out of stock. Are we certain the second one is the one I need? I never did get the picture to go through I don't think?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

The first one was a video on accessing the part, not the part you needed, just something to reference to. the second one was the correct part number you can even go to parts.com and put your model number in and look. it will be this part I showed you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally received the switch, installed it with no problem but now the lid part that protrudes into the switch I noticed is broken. looking for the correct part number for it so I can order it.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Let me look it up.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Click on the link below to order it

Click here