ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

I have a KitchenAid RefrigeratorModel KFIS20XVMS6 S/N

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid RefrigeratorModel KFIS20XVMS6
S/N K10726159
Water drips on the floor near the front. Ice fills the reservoir under the freezer and it appears to run out from on top of the ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  ApplianceTech replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thankyou for using this service!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your

Let's work together to find out what is wrong :)

The problem you have, is the defrost drain in the back of the freezer is clogged up. Look way in the back and down on the bottom behind the wall panel. There is a drain hole that now is probably under ice. Melt off the ice and clear the drain hole with a turkey baster or steamer and get water to flow down the hole and everything will be working again.

______________________________________________________________________

I hope you feel that I given you my best effort on helping you out with your questions.

But if you still have questions, just ask , otherwise, may I please ask that you take the time to rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting one of the 5 stars or the Smiley Face to rate my help to you and me personally (not the site or the condition of your appliance) before you leave today.

I thought I would add, that many people think the payment they placed is sent to me after I answer their question. But,it is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then JA credits me for my time working with you.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out and feel free to come back to this question anytime with no additional charges after rating and your position will be saved. Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required, unless you feel I have given you exceptional service.

Have a great day!

Don

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the ice in the reservoir and don't see a drain hole that goes anywhere. Would it be on the right, left, or center back of that reservoir.
Or were you referring to something on the back of the refrigerator?

No, the drain hole is up in the back behind the panel with the air slots cut in it. There is probably ice formed around the panel. The water drips off the cooling coil behind the back wall panel and there is a hole down on the bottom that directs the water into the collection pan behind the fridge.

Just to be clear, the reservoir you are describing is a depression in the base of the freezer compartment?

Watch this video , it is for a different model, but the problem is th same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fea75FySAQ0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still not sure where the drain hole is.Yes, the I reservoir I have described is just a 1/4/ inch deep depression under the frozen food racks. Ice collects in there.I see the air vents in the back of the compartment, which are over 1/2 way up the back side of the freezer compartment. Do I need to remove that back panel? If so, how do I get the frozen food trays out of the way so I can get back there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The video cleared it all up for me. I haven't fixed the problem now, but know what it is and where to work on it. But, it took several tries going back to see you response to find that link. Whenever I scroll down to that part of the answer the link disappears because the "Want to switch to a live phone call?" moves up to cover it up.You should get JustAnswer to fix that glitch.

Glad to hear that the video helped out. Sometimes I can spend hours trying to type a description and nothing comes thru that make sense to the customer..

I cant see what you see, so I can't address the problem you have, although I have had similar problems and I can sometimes correct it by hitting the control - or + key combo and shrink or enlarge the screen. Try it out.

Have a great day!

Don

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been a tough problem, and I am still not sure it it's fixed.
For your information, the hair dryer and warm water treatment did not work. The video link you sent helped, and explained how I can get to the duckbill drain valve from the back. I took that off and it was not plugged. After taking it off, I continued with a hot water and hair dryer treatment repeatedly, but never got water to drain in back. I also tried to use a screw driver and wires to open drain hole, but still nothing drained. I should know in a few days if it's working or not. I am afraid to jam a wire or screwdriver too far in the back side, as I think it is could punch into the coils for freezer. Think this will work, and if not, any other suggestions?
Is there a video link you can give me to show me how to get the drawer and inside slide drawers out of my freezer to get in the panel in back?

I use a hand held steamer to melt and clean the drain.

click here

Here is a video for removing the drawer.

click here

Don"t push too hard on those liitle tabs, you can break them off. Just push in enough to make them "click"

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.