Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I tried turining the CB off sec and then turned it back on.

Customer Question
Customer: I tried turining the...
Customer: I tried turining the CB off for 60 sec and then turned it back on. The HEAVY-FAST-RINSE lights cleared and then I selected the NORMAL cycle. Pushed the "play" button and heard the sound of the drawing locking but unit did not start. Even though I heard the "locking" sound, the drawer was NOT locked.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Fisher & Paykel dishdrawer DS603 single drawer with the error code above HEAVY-FAST-RINSE lights on and will not start when I hit play button.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
anyone there?
1/12/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The cycle will not start until the drawer locks, so I suspect the issue lies within the locking mechanism. If you open the drawer and look at the mechanisms on each side of the drawer (inside the cabinet), do they appear intact with no visible issues?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked inside and under the diswasher drawer and do not see any locking mechanism. Can you send me a picture or diagram or describe exactly where the locking mechanism is located? Also, is there a limit switch which senses when the door is closed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this the acutal manual diagram for the Fisher & Paykel DS603. The manual calls it a "lid" so I am confused since this is a drawer dishwasher with no lid.If the manual diagram/instructions is for a generic dishwasher drawer, then this manual page does not accurate. Could you email me the manual page for the F&P DS603?Is there 1 or 2 locking mechanisms?
Is the locking mechanism on the actual drawer or inside the shell of the cabinet?
If locking mechanism is on the drawer, is the locking mechanism on the left or right or under the drawer?
If locking mechanism is in the cabinet, please describe the location?Thanks,
Warren
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a limit switch to sense the door is closed? Could this be part of the problem?

There is a lid, it is inside the machine. It lowers down when the machine is started and seals the tub. This is from the exact model service manual. The plastic parts on both sides turn like a corkscrew to raise and lower the lid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Kelly,Thanks, ***** ***** what you are explaining. Here are some pics of what I discovered.LID and SIDE MECHANISMS
So I did see the "lid" and the right and left sides of the dishwasher that is shown in the manual page you sent me. I have included the actual pics (#4 and #5) in this email so you can see it for yourself. I do not see any damage to the side mechanism or the lid.Right & Left Corner Latches
I did notice in the right and left corners inside the cabinet where spring-loaded plastic latching mechanisms. The one on the left side was pushed back and the one on the right was pushed forward. Since the one on the left side did not look normal, I pushed it forward. Let me know if I should not have done this. See pictures: #2 is left latch pushed back, #3 is left latch pushed forward (I think this is the correct position).Plastic Cable broken
Pic #6 shows 3 cables/pipes. Pic #7 shows a cracked plastic cable. This cable looks like it does not provide any electrical function however, please let me know if I am wrong.Please let me know if I should investigate any of these 3 issues or let me know if I should look at any other problems.Thanks for your help.Warren
1 Inside DW Cabinet.JPG1 Insid...JPG2 Inside Left Side - spr...JPG2 Insid...JPG3 Inside Left Side - spr...JPG3 Insid...JPG5 Right Side.JPG5 Right...JPG4 Left Side.JPG4 Left...JPG6 Cables.JPG6 Cables.JPG7 Broken Plastic Cable.JPG7 Broke...JPG

I was able to download the manual for free, so I attached it for you. The pictures all look good but they are small and hard to see. There is an updated kit for the side peices that bring the lid down. I suspect they will need to be replaced but the manual will show you how to test them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the manual.In order to determine if the side pieces need to be replaced, I wanted to see if I could get the lid motor to run using the diagnostic test.I printed the manual and read through how to do the diagnostic test on under section 5.0. I ran the HW Output Test Mode under 5.1.4. I was able to enter this mode and began pressed the start/pause button and entered the HW test mode. I pressed the start button again and began testing each output, however the dishwasher did not activate the action such as "backlight", Element Relay", Lid Motor, Detergent diverter, fill water value, etc (I confirmed all these outputs on the integrated display as shown in the table under section 5.1.4.I cannot get the lid motor or any of the other HW output test to run. I am assuming I need to make sure the lid motor is running before I replace the side pieces.What may be wrong?Can you tell me what to do next?Warren

It sounds like the electronic control is not working if it will not go through the diagnostics. They do have a very high failure rate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can the electronic controller be "bad" even if I can enter the diagnostic mode? Is there a way to confirm the electronic controller is bad by running a test or can you just determine this since I cannot run the HW output tests.If the controller is bad, can I order the part from you and how much would it be with tax and shipping? How long would it take to get the part? What happens if I install the part and it does not fix the problem...can I return the part for a full refund?Warren

If the controller will not step through each of the component tests, each component would have to be faulty or the controller is faulty. We don't sell parts at all.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Kelly,I read the directions on how to do the diagnostic test and realized I hit the wrong buttons. I did get the HW output test to work correctly. I was able to get the lid actuator to work in the diagnostic test mode. I was able to get some other functions to work in diagnostic mode such as dtergent diverter, fill water valve, motor wash direction, rinse aid despenser, etc.So it looks like the controller board is working correctly.What should I do now?Warren
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, the lid actuator is working correctly. What do you think is keeping the machine from running?
Warren

So, to clarify, everything works fine in diagnostics but not during a regular cycle? Have you attempted to start a regular cycle after running the diagnostics to see if it will work now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did take the washer out of diagnostics mode and then tried to run the load but when I pushed the play button it beeped one time and did not start. What next?

I believe that control will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Kelly
I replied to you that the washer did not start after taking it out of diagnostic mode. What can I do next?
Warren
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I push the play button, the washer beeps one time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you say "control" you mean electronic controller? Is there anyway of confirming the electronic controller needs to be replaced since it cost about $200 and I cannot return it. What if I replace it and it does not fix the problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please answer this question

I would replace the controller if I was in front of the machine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will replace the controller first before I can give you a rating. Your rating should depend on if you give the advice which fixes the problem. Ordered part today and will get it in 10 days. Will provide rating if this solves the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please read above.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

OK I am a different tech if you need anything after that let me know

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kelly the tech suggested replacing the electronic controller. I received the new controller today. I turned off circuit breaker then installed new electronic controller. Turned power back ON, hit play button, heard the lid close, waited to hear washer start but nothing happened. I checked to see if drawer was locked and it was not locked. Turned off washer then turned on using power button. Hit play button and the washer beeped, lid did not go down and washer did not start. I seem to be having the same problem as I did before replacing electronic controller. The only difference is the washer lid actuators sounded like it closed but I think the lid never went all the way closed since I was able to open the drawer.What do I do now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru or Kelly: see my comments above. I replaced the electronic controller as Kelly suggested and the dishwasher drawer still does not start. The first time I tried, I heard the lid actuator but washer did not start and when I opened the drawer, the lid was NOT down. There must be something preventing the lid from closing thus not allowing the dishwasher drawer from starting.What is the next step?
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician