John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE profile refrigerator model no TFH30PRT - which

Customer Question

I have a GE profile refrigerator model no TFH30PRT - which is probably over 12 years old.
We lost the ability to produce crushed ice a while ago, which was annoying but not a big problem.
Recently, although ice continues to be produced, we are not able to dispense it using the door dispenser. When I press against the switch, I hear a click but nothing happens. I do not hear any noise. We have not been using the water dispenser since we do not have a filter on the fridge, but water also does not dispense. I am not sure if it is connected, but the light also does not work. This might be unrelated however, since I do not recall if it was working before.
I am not sure what is causing the problem, if it is the solenoid, switches, circuit board, and/or if the problem with not being able to get crushed ice is at all related.
I would appreciate your help in diagnosing the problem.
my e-mail address is***@******.***
Ken Halpern
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
TFH30PRT is only about 3/4 of a model number.

And do you have a volt-ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any voltage or components testing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not in front of my fridge now and will not be able to look until tonight. however, when I looked for the model number on the inside of the fridge, this was all that I saw. would the model number be in a different location?
I do have a volt-ohm meter and know generally how to use it. is there something I should test tonight?
I have looked at some videos and know generally how to access the circuit board etc, and how to install components.
if it is easier to talk, I an be reached on my cell phone at(###) ###-####
Ken Halpern

The model number should be on the bottom frame of the unit behind the kick plate

You would need to tape the freezer door light switch down and remove the ice container assembly and take the rear of the ice assembly apart call for ice and test the voltage to the auger motor to see if it is getting voltage or not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check for the model number tonight.
where do I have to put the leads to check for voltage?
Since it will not dispense water as well as ice, I would think it is related to the switch or solenoid or circuit board.
I hear a click when I press the switch - does that help identify the problem.

on the wires going into the auger motor

not with out a good model number The GE data base will not even open with out a full model number just tells me no such number!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get the voltage tonight - what should it be.
what is involved with taking the ice assembly apart to obtain access to the wires?
Since it will be necessary for me to be back in touch tomorrow, how do I go about reaching you.
I also note that I was dealing with your company in 2014 and was given a 25% off coupon. I'm not looking to discount this payment but perhaps I can use that to move to speaking over the phone if that is easier than a back and forth e-mail.
I had really thought this would be a quick answer - not a process - but I understand it may not be as simple as I thought.

the ice dispenser auger is powered off of 120 volts A/C

Unfortunately, a live phone call that's not something I'm able to do.
I`m an expert that works from my own appliance repair business in a remote location and not in a Just Answer office.
I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here directly on your question page.

No appliance repair is not as easy as you seem to think it is !!

I could guess and tell you that you need a part ,BUT that is not the way I work ,Before I tell you if a part is needed I need to know 100% .

And experts have no dealing with your personal info or credit info.

this clicking sound you hear do you get it on both chilled water and calling for ice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if the clicking sound is both for water and ice - but will check that tonight.
I appreciate the detail you re using.
what do I have to do to access the wires.
the site keeps asking if I prefer to switch to a live call so I thought that was your suggestion.
how do I return to reach you tomorrow after I check the voltage and model number.
Should I keep this link open and reply to it tomorrow morning?

to return later, Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Open the freezer door and unmount #361 and the auger motor # ***** is mounted on the cover .

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/4/00107000/00107089.i03/680/900

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I will check the voltage.
from what you indicated I should get 20 volts when I call for ice normally.
however, if I am not getting water, I do not understand why I am checking if the auger is getting power - that would not impact getting water.
could the problem getting crushed ice be related to the problem getting ice or is it a separate problem?

again with out a model number I can not answer that question truly

Normally they are separate issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
I will be back in touch tomorrow

no problem!