Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a samsung RS2530bbp refrigerator that the compressor

Customer Question

I have a samsung RS2530bbp refrigerator that the compressor is getting very hot to the touch. Can't leave my hand on it for longer than a second. The back fan appears to be working and I have even put a another fan on the compressor. Sometimes the freezer will be plenty cold enough but the fridge side will not get below 50. Other times both the fridge and the freezer will not get below 50 and that's when the compressor is at it's hottest. I've leaving it unplugged for 24 hours and defrosting it in hopes that would help but it did not.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon.
This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That particular relay was ok. I read somewhere about holding two buttons down on the panel and running tests on various things. One of the tests seems to fail. Not sure which one that is. A lot of posts I've read about similar problems with this model of fridge suggest that it's the board and that it's unlikely for it to be the compressor.When checking the relay I noticed that the terminals were corroded. I snipped off the old ones and put new terminals on the wires and cleaned off the terminals on the relay. Going to see if maybe that helped.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Everything you've read has nothing to do with your particular problem. Accurate for your model, but for needed for completely different issues. Hopefully fixing the corroded terminal will fix the issue but if not you'd be looking at a weak overload relay or a new compressor. The issue is sporadic so it's really not something you can test but since you can't replace the compressor yourself I'd start with the overload relay if it comes down to it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a relay on the board that is rattling, I have ordered a new board and while I was at it got a new overload relay. I'm waiting on those to come in to close the question so others can find this information helpful. .
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

alright well good luck.