Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a GE Dishwasher with the top controls, fairly new.

Customer Question

I have a GE Dishwasher with the top controls, fairly new. How do I disassemble the door to access the parts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.

1. Remove the toekick panel from underneath the dishwasher. 2. Kill power to DW 3. Disconnect the door wire harness at the bottom of the main control cover ( the main control is NOT at the top of the door ) 3. Release the the two wire clips holding the harness to the bottom front of the tub . 4. Remove the two 1/4 in. hex head screws at the bottom of the door at each corner. 5. Locate the hole in the hinge - one on the left side hinge and one on the right side hinge. Insert a 5/32 Allen wrench or a similar size tool ( you want a fairly tight fit in that hole ) into each hole. Now gradually open to about 30 degrees and continue pushing the Allen wrench through the hole so it goes through and engages the hole of the offset leg This will lock the door into position. You have to do this on both left and right sides. 6. Lift the door up about three inches and then tilt the door inward so it is vertical and lift the entire door off. To re install reverse the process starting with the door in it's vertical position , etc. TO further disassemble the door , use two screwdivers to turn the inner door vent cover counter clockwise to remove it and the two 1/4 hex head screws , then slide outer door panel away from the control panel approx. 3/4 of an inch and lift to separate the outer from the inner panel.. This probably sounds harder than it really is and the first time I did it it took me a while , especially getting the Allen wrench through the holes , but that is really the only hard part.

Why do you want inside the door , to get to the top control ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water is not starting with the cycle . A repair man came and thinks it might be a wire but he couldn't get into it

I would more be suspecting the flood switch.