Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Samsung microwave model SMH1713S lost power all of a sudden.

Customer Question

Samsung microwave model SMH1713S lost power all of a sudden. Breaker did not trip. Outlet works fine. I checked the fuse and it is good. What should I try next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There are 2 more thermostats that can cut power to the entire microwave. The first thermal fuse is mounted up above the microwave cavity and it's called the "cavity thermal fuse". The other thermostat is is mounted to the side of the magnetron behind the control panel area. Below is a link to the thermal fuses since they don't look like fuses. They both look the same so you know what you're looking for. If either part has no continuity, replace it. if they all have continuity, you have a faulty control board and the display board will need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

CLICK HERE to see thermal fuse

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to check these without discharging the capacitor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The capacitor should discharge on it's own if it's working properly, but yes you will want to try to discharge the capacitor just in case it's not working properly before servicing the microwave.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the capacitor on this model?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Somewhere in the back on the right side

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the cavity thermal fuse easily. I'm not sure where the other one is. Attached is a picture behind the control panel. I see what looks like two thermal fuses at the bottom. That doesn't sound like the location you described though.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The microwave will need to be pulled out completely to access the magnetron thermal fuse. Those 2 parts at the bottom are not fuses.

Below is your picture and I drew an arrow to the magnetron which is BEHIND the fan so you can't see it.

It's getting late and I must log now but you should have the information you need by now. Good luck to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the thermo fuse on the magnetron and it was good. I took out what I thought was the cavity thermal fuse, but it was something else (see first picture). I don't see anything else on top of the cavity that looks like a thermostat. I've attached a picture of the top.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so you are correct, that is not the thermal fuse---that is the humidity sensor. The cavity thermal fuse is under the black plastic cover. I attached your second picture and drew an arrow so where you'd need to look for it. You will need to remove the black plastic cover to see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. I took it out and it tested good as well. So the control board needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. If you're sure the microwave is getting power and both the cavity and magnetron thermal fuse check good as well as the 1" cylinder fuse you checked to start with---the only option left is the display board which can't be tested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dang. Can you send me a link to the correct part?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Sure, below is a link to the display board for your microwave.

CLICK HERE for display board