Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator 10-12 years old - fridge is

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - I have a Kitchenaid Refrigerator 10-12 years old - fridge is warm, freezer is working. Model KBRA20ELSS01. Would like to figure out if I may be able to order a part or two, and make repair myself.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what to look for in regards ***** ***** issue is. Small amount of frost on back wall of freezer, but it still makes ice and compartment is cold. Refrigerator compartment is room temperature. Came home from an overnight stay elsewhere to find it in this condition, so did not witness or hear any malfunctions.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That frost build up prevents the air from circulating into the refrigerator from the freezer which is why the refrigerator isn't cooling. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.