Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have. Kenmore sise by side fridge and freezer model 253

Customer Question

Hello, I have. Kenmore sise by side fridge and freezer model 253 53379300. We changed the filter after 6 months. There was a bad smell and the ice and water tasted bad. I emptied all contents and washed the shelves and sides with baking soda. It still has a bad odor and I have emptied all ice 3 times, but it still smells and taste bad What can be done to fix the problem? Thanks, ***** ***** Ecken
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

This is a issue with the quality of your water that is supplied to the refrigerator.

And your not going to like what I have to tell you ,

To get rid of the odor you will have to replace all of the plastic tubing and water reservoir in the unit .

BUT how ever old the unit is it will take that long for it to return .

So if it is 18 months old in 18 months it will return .

You can replace all the plastic tubing and water reservoir ,and install a water osmosis system that will remove 100% of all the minerals in the water out but they are several hundred dollars.

This is a very common issue in the southern states with high calcium content in the water.

If you have any questions just reply back .