Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Samsung RF263 French Door fridge. The cooling fan

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Samsung RF263 French Door fridge. The cooling fan is "motor boating". From research this model is prone to ice over. I want to get the evaporator cover off and inspect ice buildup and defrost.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think I covered that in my initial contact above.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure as long as it is not too long (15 mins or so)
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So it sounds like you're on the right track. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Now I want to say that removing this panel can be very difficult. You may need to use a hair dryer and thaw out the panel for 30 minutes or so because sometimes the ice will prevent it from pulling off. There are sometimes 2 screws at the bottom of this panel that you need to remove and then it's just clipped in all the way around so you must pry and pull. Attached is the diagram of the panel you need to remove which is part 97.

Then just use a hair dryer to thaw out any frost or ice you see behind this panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler there are no screws at the bottom. That's what's throwing me.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There are 2 screws at the bottom. They may be covered by a white plastic cap or vent panel but they are there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then they have to be behind vegetable and fruit drawer/cool select pantry assembly. I can't figure out how to get that out.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

They are not. I circled the 2 screws in red.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diagram you provided does not match my RF263. It looks like the panel for a RF267 which I have a video for.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Either you didn't give me the full correct model number or that diagram is correct. Look at the top of the screen you'll see it's for RF263

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know what to say. The diagram you sent me is cut off and I don't see any model number. My frig is an RF263BE and I have the manual in front of me.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so you're correct, that is a different model. RF263BE makes all the difference. your panel just unclips all the way around and pulls out. Below is a link to the diagram for that model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Sorry. Didn't realize the BE is needed. I don't want to break this thing. Do I fit a small screwdriver to pry them free?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Aye, just a small screwdriver and keep in mind if there is ice build up it won't just pop off so I'd try to heat it up for awhile first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Can you give me the approximate locations for the clips? How many are there?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

They are along the right and left sides but can't really approximate the locations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are small triangles along the edge. That must be the locations.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is where I pry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is shelf bracket right down the middle with a screw at the top. I took the screw out but the bracket won't come out as there is a tang stopping it. Is that OK?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you are talking about without being there to see it so I can't tell you if that is OK or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking closely I see that the cover goes below the drawer assembly I mentioned earlier. The cover seems to attached by fasteners behind this assembly because it is not letting go. I've got to have help getting this drawer assembly out.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Some things you're just going to have to work through yourself. If you can't remove the shelf then you may need a technician out there on site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was why I contacted Just Answer. These assemblies have have retainers that are not obvious. Is there another tech that might be able to help with this drawer assembly?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You remove the drawers and then you pull the shelf out. It's very straight forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drawers are out. There are screws on both sides holding the rail assembly for these drawers to the frig. It's not straightforward at all. There is wiring involved with this assembly.