John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

GE washing machine #WJRE5550 HOWW HAS BEEN MAKING LOAD

Customer Question

GE washing machine #WJRE5550 HOWW HAS BEEN MAKING LOAD NOISES(not grinding or high pitched if it is grinding) for 2 months but continued to function. Today removed water from tub but will not spin. Can disassemble myself but need possible diagnosis.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.
.

During the month of December, all ratings of 3 stars or more, 1/2 of the payment will be donated to help homeless veterans, also all tips given will be donated to 100% to Autism Support Groups.

You will need to remove the front of the machine, and look at the motor, there is a small light either red or green, and count the flashes and let me know how many between pauses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights on motor that I can see. Belt is off. Motor turns fine. Big pulley that attaches to agitator moves with difficulty(not free wheeling) with no clothes inside drum.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

did you take the belt off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wheel/pulley turned by motor makes the grinding noise that has been happening the last 2 months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not take belt off. It was laying on top of pulley an on floor of washing machine.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

THe large pulley did not come loose also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. How do you disassemble the agitator and replace bearing?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

If you have no light on the motor, the bearings are the least of your problems.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you still need help?