Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our Samsung front end washing machine won't close, so it

Customer Question
Customer: Our Samsung front end...
Customer: Our Samsung front end washing machine won't close, so it won't run, and no repair person can come before Tuesday. We have out of town guests arriving tomorrow!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Samsung unit is about a year old, the door will close, but when I hit the start button, the d5 message comes up: door not closed. We've tried several times, my husband even leaned on the door, hoping the pressure would seal the lock, but no. First issue we've had with the unit
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure Clothes are in, they just won't wash :(
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/23/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

d5 is just an error code that your door latch has failed. You would need to purchase and replace the door latch to get your washer to work again, there is no way around that. If you're handy and you know of an appliance parts store, you can pick one up today and replace it yourself.

It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thanks. Not sure that will get the clothes washed because I'm not sure where I can purchase the parts

You can order the part online but that really won't do you any good if you're trying to get it fixed before Christmas since parts stores likely won't be open after today until Monday of next week. I couldn't tell you where a part store is located in your area, but that would be research you'd need to do yourself if you wanted to fix this problem today. All I can tell you is what is needed to fix the appliance which I have done. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc