Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

GE side by side refrigerator TPS24PP, purchased ~1998.

Customer Question

Customer: GE side by side refrigerator TPS24PP, purchased ~1998. Refrigerator is no longer cooling well (~55F), though freezer is still functioning fine (~0F). Want to determine effort and cost to fix or better to replace.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what more. Lights are functioning, air circulation fans appear to be running, though not sure at what flow rate I should feel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. Add'l info. Just looked in unit. one vent not flowing, one vent with lite flow. Looked in freezer and a layer of frost is built up on back wall, maybe 1/8" thick or slightly more.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

You may just have a defrost issue you should remove the back panel in the freezer and check the evaporator for excessive frosting if you see that you need to likely change the heater or defrost thermostat. If you can not do that you would have about 150-200 for a company to do it.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks