Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a french door Amana refrigerator. The freezer is

Customer Question
super cold but the refrigerator...
I have a french door Amana refrigerator. The freezer is super cold but the refrigerator wasn't cold. I read that it might be ice clogging the path to the fridge. I took the cover off and there was no ice problem, but the plastic spring loaded door between the two was stuck in the closed position. I opened the door and stuck a toothpick in it to keep it open. What is the mechinism to open and close it? Is there a switch? Is it a thermostat? Is it bad to have the "trap door" open all the time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Do you have a model number so I can see how your damper assembly is controlled? The damper assembly is the flap that you are talking about that is supposed to open and close. The model number is ***** on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you open the refrigerator doors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have a model number. I am not home right now. I stopped at my house between appointments and opened the damper. I only know that the model is about two years old and has french doors. I have a picture of it if that helps at all.

That does not help unfortunately. I would need a model number. Also, I wouldn't leave the damper propped open for too long. If it gets too cold and freezes everything you could run into a much bigger issue.

Please reply when you get the actual model number. Unfortunately no one can help you without that number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just go back to this page and continue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will there be an additional charge?

There will not be an additional charge. Just bookmark the page and come back and post on this same question so you don't have to pay again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I will log back on when I get home from work today.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there someplace on the appliance that will tell me what the model number is?

No problem.

As I mentioned before, it's on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen when you open the doors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

no problem.

John, Home Appliance Technician