Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My son just broke the top part of the striker off in the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My name is ***** ***** my son just broke the top part of the striker off in the latch of my front load Fridgedaire Gallery washer, I know how to fix it if I can get the front panel off. How do I do that?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need to know how to get the front panel off the washer. it is a front load fridgedaire gallery with the controls on the top, not the front of the washer. If i get the striker out of the latch where it broke I can replace the striker, or if I cant i have to replace the latch, which I know how to do, if I can get the front of the washer off
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So you don't actually remove the front panel to access the latch, you just remove the boot so that you can pull the latch out from behind the front panel. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to to pull out the door latch assembly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already found that on you tube. There is no ring around the rubber. I need to take the front of the washer off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you have the really old model with no wire ring, then it means that it's glued onto the front panel of the washer. You can't remove the front panel without removing the gasket anyways so you need to slide a razor behind the back of the gasket all the way around to disconnect the gasket front the front panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, then what and how do I reseal it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The gasket is just held on with super glue (really). You do the same thing and put a dot of super glue every 3 or 4 inches and then push the seal back in place.