The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Whirlpool washer wfw9150ww00 was working fine except.

Customer Question

Whirlpool washer wfw9150ww00 was working fine except for boot. Replaced boot and reassembled. Now leds make slightest flash then nothing. Can hear two relays click when I plug in. Why wont the leds stay on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty and I will be assisting you with your problem.

What you describe is a classic example of a direct short in the system. It can be as simple as a loose wire touching one of the traces on a board, or a piece of solder bridging two legs on one of the processors. Most of the time after a DIY repair it turns out to be a crushed, bare or trapped wire. Simply insulating the wire does the trick.

There are unfortunate cases where the short is permanent and internal of one of the board components. This requires replacement of the board.

Im sure you do not want to hear this and I sympathize. Been there, done it, too many times myself.

Go over the repair and check for any wires that may have been damaged. Look around the door lock/switch areas and where any cabinet components come together in particular.

Please let me know if you require additional assistance.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which circuits does the ecu check before turning on the leds? Are there interlocks? You can refer to the wiring diagram. I can make voltage and resistance checks but the wiring diagram doesn't have sufficient detail.

If you are certain that there are no trapped or shorting wires please try running a diagnostics mode. Please let me know what happens.

Thank you.

Starting Service History Mode & Diagnostic Test:
NOTE: The washer must be empty and the control must be
in the OFF state before pressing the touch-pad sequence to
start the test.
1. Close the door.
2. Select any three different keys (except POWER).
Individually press these in a sequence of 1, 2, 3 and then
repeat this sequence two more times. This sequence must
be completed within 8 seconds of the first key press.
These three keys are referred to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd keys,
based on the order pressed 3. Upon entry into service diagnostics, the console will beep
(if available) and all console LED lights will turn on for
5 seconds.
4. Any error codes will be displayed in the Estimated Time
Remaining display. If there are no error codes stored,
88 will be displayed. On models without a display, the
WASH LED will flash to indicate the error code. If there
are no error codes stored, the WASH LED remains on.
NOTE: This program recalls the most recent error code first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot run diagnostic because LEDs do not stay on. Some flash and all stay off.

I am sorry but what you describe is a classic direct short. The best thing I can recommend is that you disassemble the boot and see if you may have trapped or damaged a wire. If you are unable to locate anything like that then the control board will have to be replaced.

Please understand that without being able to enter the diagnostics mode any diagnostics are from my experience only and the accuracy can not be guaranteed.

Best, Smity