Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Russ, Whirlpool stops at spin cycle, older whirlpool, no

Customer Question
Customer: Russ, Whirlpool stops at...
Customer: Russ, Whirlpool stops at spin cycle, older whirlpool, no digital display like other threads
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Machine washes fine and spins fine but when it's time to rinse the machine stops. Just this morning finally tried the regular wash as we always use the small load wash, the machine did the same thing. After sitting for 20 minutes it started back up on it's own and finished. At that time there was a hot wire/motor smell coming from the machine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
12/19/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? The model is located on a sticker below the lid down near the hinges (not on the lid itself but tucked up underneath and really hard to see). Also, if you move the timer back to wash does the washer still agitate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Front load, WFW9150WW00. If I turn the dial down to Rinse/drain & spin it will take off but doesn't complete the cycle as the clothes are still wet.
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

When it does work in the Rinse and spin is there still standing water in the unit,when it is done?

And the clothes that were in it are they like items?

Weighing the same when wet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This last time when the machine started on its own after sitting stagnant for 20 minutes, the clothes where dry. Prior to that when I pushed it through manually, they weren't dry

ok you are aware that this is a smart technologies unit correct?

It is smart enough to know if the load will be out of balance or not in the high speed spin mode and it will tumble back and forth in the spin cycle to try and level the load and if it can not it will just stop .

Have you tried running the unit with out clothes in to to see what it will do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not as of yet. We've had the machine for 10 years plus and this problem has just began. The last load was 5 small hand towels just to test and it did the same thing. The machine has always done the back and forth rotation for balance and often it would take off in a bad balance and then slow down to rebalance. The electrical hot smell has me wondering if the motor is heating up and shutting down waiting for a cool down?

if the motor was getting hot and stopping you should be getting an error code.

Are you seeing any F error codes or blinking lights ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Older machine, doesn't have a digital display. Just tested the motor and has 6.3 ohms between 1-2 1-3 2-3 per the diagnose sheet.

do you have any blinking lights?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no they stay solid

ok so it have not stored any error codes then .

When it stops do you still have lights on the console, or does it go blank as if it had been powered off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lights will stay on

ok and what do you have to do to get it to work again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I spin the control dial from its current position around to spin/rinse and hit start it will try to complete the cycle but will often stop and leave the clothes wet.

ok do you know what it was doing when it stopped?

And if you do not select a rinse and spin what does the unit do?

can you get it to start in the cycle that you selected with out changing the selection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It goes through its normal wash cycle with the unit filling and draining, when it switches starts into the rinse cycle it stops before entering the spin. At that point it is done until I manually move the dial to Rinse and press start. I've attached a photo of the stage it stops at and what lights are on

ok so it stops at the very first of the rinse cycle would you say?

and if so are you sure the unit is getting cold water in to it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for sure. At this point its already run through a drain and fill cycle but just before it shifts into the spin cycle it stops.

ok so it has filled with water for the rinse cycle is that correct?

The fill for the rinse cycle should be the second water fill.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does it's second water fill, runs through its cycle, drains and then stops

ok so it has drains in the final rinse but has not gone into spin?

or does it drain and attempt to spin but stops after several tries?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check it for that exact answer

ok no problem!

Just let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok,
I sat and watched it through its entire process and here's the steps:
Wash cycle finished and drained:
Rinse light on:
tumbles and fills slightly,
tumbles and fills slightly,
at the last point ready to drain the machine stops while it's full of rinse water:
At this point I can smell hot electrical and the motor is very hot to the touch. I have the back and top cover off with the switch on the back of the machine rigged to run without the cover on.
after sitting for 10 minutes the machine started back up on its own, finished draining and completed it spin cycle and turned off.

ok the motor that is getting hot is it the washers drive motor or the drain pump motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
washer driver motor

ok So I would have to assume that the drive motor is going bad and getting hot .

And it will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Drive/W10171902/1488594?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

I see you have not rated me as of yet!

Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech