Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Refrigerator with chest freezer is getting ice build up and

Customer Question
then leaking out the bottom...
refrigerator with chest freezer is getting ice build up and then leaking out the bottom right side happens every week didn't see a drain in the bottom of freezer
Thank You
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
12/18/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

It sounds like you're on the right track. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. It sounds like your defrost drain line has backed up and that is causing it to leak. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has had enough problems that it has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc