Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Miele dishwasher is throwing a "close the salt container

Customer Question
lid'. Unplugging it for...
Miele dishwasher is throwing a "close the salt container lid'. Unplugging it for up to 24 hours does nothing. Message prevents me from getting into settings. Have removed and cleaned and put the salt container cap on multiple times, nothing. Machine is now non- operational.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 day by:
12/12/2015
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There are several things that can cause that error, see the attached sheet. Are you able to perform disassembly and testing with an electrical meter to diagnose?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I able to dissassemble? Yes, but I won't, as I just don't have the time. What's the chance that replacing the lid with a new one (on the assumption that the there is a magnet in the lid somewhere that trips a sensor switch normally) will fix the problem? Enough to warrant gambling on the price of a new lid? I have a repairman coming out the first week of January and the call-out fee is >$100. If a lid is (a lot) less than this might it be worth a try? Or do you think it's more likely that the lid and magnet are fine and the problem instead is in the sensor? If this is a gamble worth taking in your opinion and if so could you direct me to a place where I could order a new part (lid)?

It is more likely to be a sensor issue than a lid issue. The part will come as an assembly and will cost more than the call out fee, parts are only available from Miele. Without testing, I would wait for the service technician.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It turns out that it was a known problem to Miele (after the service tech called Miele from my house) with this model (G 2832 SCi, their flagship model in 2009) and the tech reprogrammed the machine based on Miele's instructions to him and it was operational again, without needing any expensive replacement parts. That said, the machine is still not behaving normally - the extended drying option of this model (motorized latch burps door at the end of the cycle and fans blow the moist air out) is not working, nor can a cycle be interrupted without having to cancel the program and start a new wash program, mainly because the machine only gives you one opportunity to close the door (with it's motorized latch) and that's after pushing 'start' on a new wash program. So that's two issues associated with the motorized door close and latch mechanism, which leads me to believe that the technician may have 'reprogrammed it' to a different model which lacks these features. Another thing I notice is that glassware and clear plastics are streaky after drying for the first time, which may suggest that the rinse aid is not being deployed properly during the wash cycle.Any ideas as to how one 1) gets into the service menus to confirm that the software program loaded is for the right hardware model number) or 2) reprograms the machine so that it's software is correct for the given hardware model number?Thanks,
Tom

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The service manual for your model that shows how to enter those programming modes is available for download below.

CLICK HERE

Kelly, Appliance Technician