Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Samsung Mod SMH9187ST Hood/microwave combo that is

Customer Question

We have a Samsung Mod SMH9187ST Hood/microwave combo that is throwing an - 5E - Code this morning. I will not let me clear the code and when I un plug the unit and plug it back in, the code keeps reappearing. What does this code mean, and can we fix the problem?
Thanks ***** ***@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So to start, this error means that your touchpad has shorted out and needs to be replaced. This is not something you can just reset. If you are handy, this is definitely something you can replace yourself. The touchpad is nothing more than a sticker with a ribbon cable connected to the control board behind the control panel.

First, start by unplugging the microwave. There should be 2 or 3 screws coming in from the top of the vent over the door. Remove these screws and pull the vent panel off. That will expose a screw over top of the control panel. Remove this screws and the control panel will pull off so that you can replace the touchpad. Now depending on the full model number (located on a sticker inside the cavity of the microwave and can be seen if you open the door), the entire plastic touch control panel is replaced as one part once you remove the control board, or the touchpad can be peeled off the plastic control panel to replace just the touch buttons. If your model sells the touchpad separately, use a knife and pry under the touchpad sticker edge to remove the touchpad. Then unplug the ribbon cable from the control board behind the control panel. Now just install the new sticker touchpad and you should be good to go again. The only good new here is that the touchpad is relatively inexpensive. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for touchpad

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.