Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kenmore elite side by side and the refrigerator has

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite side by side and the refrigerator has gotten warm but the freezer is some what working with frost on back wall and behind the grill at thw bottom.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So it sounds like you have a defrost issue which prevents the air from circulating properly and cooling like it should. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. This will expose all the frost building up on the evaporator cooling system. Next, unplug the refrigerator. There is a defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver coils and a 1" round device clipped onto the top of the frosted evaporator coils with 2 wires going to it. You'd need a multimeter to test continuity through both parts. If either part doesn't have continuity---replace it. If both parts have continuity through them, the main control board would need to be replaced because it's not controlling the defrost cycle properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a pan to catch defrost water
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There is below the refrigerator, but you should probably put a towel below the frosted coils when you thaw them out to prevent the pan from overflowing. The pan is not really removable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this may take a little time should I just stay online
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can do whatever you'd like but I gave you every scenario in the beginning so regardless of what you find you should know what to do at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get started then rate you. sounds like I should be able to handle it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

alright good luck to you.